Leaders come in all shapes and sizes. They lead small or large teams and they lead activities in every walk of life. Naturally, there is no straightforward formula that makes a great leader, but in the business world there are a few distinct leadership styles that seem to be prominent.
The infographic below identifies these six leadership styles based on data taken from close to 4,000 executives:
1. Authoritative – Mobilises people towards a vision
2. Affiliative – Creates emotional bonds and harmony
3. Democratic – Builds consensus through participation
4. Coaching – Develops people for the future
5. Pacesetting – Expects excellence and self-direction
6. Coercive – Demands immediate compliance
The first 4 styles are are deemed highly effective, the last 2 not so much… You may recognise your own leadership style amongst those listed above, or you may find that you use a mixture. In fact, the best leaders often rotate their leadership style to get the best out of their team.
Take a look at the full infographic below for more information about these six leadership styles and what they promote.