If you’re coming to the end of your university life, you may be considering what’s next. Plenty of graduates are unsure about diving straight into a full-time career and instead consider taking a gap year. There are numerous things that you can do with a gap year, whether it be travelling the world and experiencing new things or working either at home or abroad to save some money.
So what are the pros and cons of ditching the job applications for visa applications and taking a year to travel?
1. The longest holiday you’ll probably be able to take in your life.
2. Self- confidence
3. Time to figure out what you want
4. New experiences
5. New cultures
6. A chance to relax
7. Awesome weather (hopefully)
8. Great talking points
9. Independence and freedom
10. Worldwide friends
1. It can be expensive
2. You have to be organised
3. You may miss your family (especially towards the end)
4. You may not want to come back!
5. Post-travelling, job-hunting blues
Whatever you choose, if you do decide to take a year out you should ensure that you make the most of it and have an experience that is both fun and enriching. Potential employers want to hear about a year well spent and not a year wasted.